HELP I’M A PARENT!!! Friday 6th March
In this term’s coffee morning we had an open and down to earth discussion about how hard it can be being a parent. We agreed that sometimes we can get so frustrated with things such as challenging behaviour, that we forget to appreciate the privilege of being a parent/carer. The group came up with Top Tips that you might find useful:
- Remember you are the BOSS! Be firm but fair and do not set your children up to fail.
- Pick your battles – decide in your mind the non-negotiables and try not to get into battles that are not necessary.
- Have routines/boundaries eg bedtimes, meal times, tidy up times etc. Encourage your children to be part of the routines so they are allowed to become responsible and part of the household. Ensure routines are as much fun as possible eg you might have more success with tidy up time if it is accompanied to fun music!
- Value mistakes… we all make them! They are simply opportunities to learn. So if your child tells a lie, use the opportunity to help them see the importance of telling the truth.
- Admit when you are wrong! Show them it’s okay to make mistakes.
- Give your child a voice to tell you about the good and bad things in their life in their own words. Try not to shout at them and prevent them from being able to explain why they ‘did it.’
- Remember the ‘Power of Positive!’ Catch them being good and make them feel so great that they want to continue with better behaviour.
- Finally – find a consequence that your child does not want! Use it sparingly and do not make false threats! Eg if you say no sweets, no TV, no gadgets, early bed.. then mean it. You are the BOSS!
We also talked about:
The recent Parent Questionnaire. We were thrilled that virtually 100% of you are so pleased with Village Infants. We recognise that more work needs to be done to make our Parent Governors more accessible. Watch this space!